Articles about  Borrowing from you 401k

CPA Moms Information Center about borrowing against your 401K

Main Menu

Recorvery Rebate Credit
Mileage Deductions
Car Donation Deductions
Bad Debt Right Off
Hybrid Cars Deductions
Tax Cash Today at Western Union
CPA Moms - Services Offered
Tax Preparation
Electronic Filing
Enrolled Agents
Tax Moms
Recovery Rebate Credit
CPA Moms
Representation before IRS
Non Profit Tax Services
CPA Loan Letter
$7500 Downpayment for your Home
401k Loan Home Page
401k Loan News
401k Loan Articles
More CPA Moms Tax Subjects
Want to Join CPA Moms?
401k Loan Blog

People Needed to play FREE Retirement Game

Writers Wanted

We need more article writers



With both 401k and Education saving Plans, all growth is tax-deferred. 

Proceeds from a Education Plan used to pay educational expenses are exempt from federal taxes. But 401k contributions are made in pre-tax dollars while Education Plans have to be funded with after-tax dollars.

Most parents will be in a better position to help their kids with college costs by maximizing their 401k and then taking a early withdrawal for their 401k plan to pay for Education expenses.


By: Daniel Lamaute

Pressed for cash, many people will take money out of their individual
retirement account (IRA) as a means to get quick access to capital.
They do this even though they have to pay taxes and generally
if they are younger than 59 , also pay a 10% penalty on the money
they withdraw.

Only as a last resort should one touch their retirement savings
for anything other than retirement expenses. But, in those cases
when you need to tap into your retirement savings, a way to get money
out of your retirement account without paying the penalty and deferring
the tax was just made available beginning in 2002, as a result
of a tax law change.

Under the new law, those with a small business and no employees
or only a spouse as an employee can establish Solo-Owner 401(k) plans
and take a loan from those plans. The loan from the Solo-Owner 401(k)
is not treated as a withdrawal. As such it is not subject to tax
and the 10% penalty for early withdrawal as long as you repay the loan
on time.

You can roll over or transfer the funds you have in your IRAs, 401(k),
403(b), or other qualified retirement funds into your Solo-Owner 401(k)
and then borrow from the balance in your Solo-Owner 401(k) plan.

Employees of large corporations for the most part always had
the ability to borrow from their 401(k). Now small business owners,
such as freelancers, consultants, and entrepreneurs, who have left
the corporate world also have that choice. They can borrow up to the
lesser of $50,000 or 50% of the balance in their 401(k).
A Solo-Owner 401(k) plan gives small business owners the opportunity
to defer up to $40,000 per year in a tax deferred retirement plan
and the flexibility, should they ever need it, to borrow from their
retirement funds.

The Solo-Owner 401(k) plan goes under different names depending on
the provider of the plan. Make sure you are aware in advance of
the fees that may be associated with rolling over or transferring
your money into or out of your Solo-Owner 401(k) plan.
For more information on the Solo-Owner 401(k) plan and other ways
to get money out of your retirement plan while minimizing the taxes
and penalties visit

Daniel Lamaute is a Retirement Investment Specialist and principal
of Lamaute Capital, Inc. member NASD/SIPC. He can be reached on