Ask a Tax Question - Personal Tax Returns
Tax This!: An Insider's Guide to Standing Up to the IRS
by Scott Estill

Tax This! An Insider's Guide to Standing Up to the IRS, is just that. It provides the insight of an insider that will help you stand up to the IRS in any situation. Little known facts and difficult to conceive strategies are revealed that will help any target of the IRS deal effectively with them or help prevent you from becoming their target.

Author Scott Estill discloses all the rights, which are many, that citizens have when confronted with a problem involving the IRS. He gives an insider's look at the culture, attitudes, and seemingly out of control bureaucracy that prevails inside the IRS and prepares you to deal with the IRS at that level also. His information is backed up by references to the Internal Revenue Code, Congressional Law, and established judicial decisions.

Tax This also provides clear examples of completed IRS forms, which are many and varied. Overall, this is an informative, easy read for someone like me with little knowledge of the IRS. It will hold your interest even if the IRS isn't breathing down your neck and may be invaluable if they are.


Ask a Tax Question - Personal Tax Returns -

Ask a CPA Mom your Tax Question FREE?

IRS wants you to retire Financially Free!     We will answer your questions and give you options about how to become Financially Free when you retire

Tax answers/options when you sell your Home.      We will answer your questions about the tax free home sales and give you options on tax free exchanges

So, You got a letter from IRS?  We can help.    Letters from IRS are scary. We will answer your questions at no charge.

S-Corp, LLC, C-Corp, Partnership - Your Choice?    Selecting the correct Business Entity is confusing.  We will give you the tax options of each Business Entity.

How not to pay taxes when you sell income property.    We will explain how to do a tax free exchange & not pay taxes when you sell your income property.

Ask a Tax Question - Personal Tax Returns
  If you desire to ask a specific question feel free to contact us. 
Opinions are FREE.

Personal Income Tax Returns   
Tony Robinson

Personal income tax, as we know it today, was originally enacted by Congressional law during the ratification of the sixteenth Amendment in 1913.

Although we have experienced many changes to the system since that point in time, the importance of the individual income tax to the Federal Government's revenue as remained a constant. Today, half of the government's revenue is generated from the assessment of personal income tax due, and mounts into the trillions of dollars each year.

Article to continue below----------------------------------------------

Scholarships Available (Community Press & Recorder)
Again this year the Madeira Woman's Club will award three scholarships this spring - two for high school seniors and one for an adult who is continuing his/her education.


Some of the more significant changes to our tax law are discussed below and might surprise today's taxpayer, simply because our knowledge of the tax system is far removed from some of the earliest requirements, inclusions, and exclusions.
For instance, federal government employees were taxed on their income, but state and local government employees were exempted. Also exempt from the income tax levy was interest income from government bonds, federal, state and local. The exemption for single persons was $3000, and for married individuals it was $4000. Not much has changed, even though inflation has created major changes in our income levels, the exemption rates haven't changed in direct correlation.

Another important concept that has experienced much change over the years is the use of "personal income" in some tax liability instances, versus the use of adjusted gross income in some other instances. There are great differences in these figures, if you make use of the many deductions and exemptions that are currently a part of the individual income tax form, the 1040. Now, here's another important difference: during the tax systems inception, there was only one form used by all taxpayers, even business owners. Today, there are 3 different forms just for the individual tax payer's filing status. If you're a business owner, or if you own investment property, there are also many additional schedules for which you must separate your income away from the basic 1040 wages, salaries, and tips. This has been in an effort to encourage the small business ownership in American to expand.

Article to continue below----------------------------------------------

Keith Bulluck Of Tennessee Titans Funds Scholarships In Honor Of Steve McNair (ESPN)
Titans linebacker Keith Bulluck has awarded nine Middle Tennessee high school football players scholarships in honor of his late teammate, Steve McNair.


Capital gains, of course have always received preferential treatment, but for many years they weren't taxed at all. It would seem the unfair exclusion of the wealthy individuals ability to invest and realize a profit, was in existence even then.
Many of the concepts we take for granted with our tax system today, weren't introduced all that many years ago. Tax tables, medical expense deductions, standard deductions, the definition of taxable income were established until the 1940s; earned income credit, alternative minimum tax, mortgage interest, and investment interest tax weren't addressed until the 1970s; unemployment compensation and social security benefits weren't taxed until the 1980s, and state sales tax and personal interest were excluded as deductions during the late 80s.
As you can see the United States tax system, along with the personal income tax return are fairly young institutions, and at times, still seem to be undergoing many changes, often at a pace much faster than the individual taxpayer can accommodate. The changes that often occur, to benefit a taxpayer aren't even general knowledge until it is too late to take advantage of the opportunity.

It's through the use of a professional tax preparer and excellent communication that an individual tax payer will see the greatest benefit of the tax codes and regulations. hanks to the complexity of the United States tax codes, the system itself, and the variations of tax codes from state to state, completing your personal tax return and maximizing your deductions, exemptions, and credits to their fullest potential, is like trying to complete a mind-twisting maze. The average individual required to file a personal tax return has no grasp of the US tax system, and must therefore rely on one of the many tax professionals to complete their return. Quite often, these deductions, exemptions, and credits are overlooked simply because of a lack of communication. available to the individual tax payer, in addition to the fact that qualifying for many of these benefits must be communicated to the tax preparer.

Tony Robinson is a Webmaster and International Author.
Visit for his tax tips.

Who are the CPA Moms?      Your Tax Professional Forever!!!!

“CPA Moms - Tax Moms - EA Moms" are trade names given to Accounting and Tax Professionals who chose to work in an “relaxed” environment. Some "Moms" work from home, other work from personal offices. Not all are Moms, there are some Dads. We call them Mr. Tax Moms. CPA Dads or Enrolled Agents Dads.
Each Mom is independent. Once a client starts working with a Mom, the client will keep the same “Mom” year after year regardless of where the client moves or relocates. Being in a “relaxed” environment has many advantages. Lower overhead, faster response time, more availability, etc.
To be a member a CPA Mom, Tax Moms, or an Erolled Moms the Tax Professional must ALWAYS be in good standing with their state licensing agency, experienced, and must demonstrate a high level of ethics, professionalism and proficiency.
Tax Net Inc, the parent company for all CPA Moms, Tax Moms and Enrolled Moms, developed the marketing and on-line systems to help qualified Tax Professionals who "choose" work from their “relaxed” environment and offer better service at a lower price to the consumer.
Since the “Moms” do taxes and accounting of all complexities, there is always a Mom available for every level of work. Since each Mom has a private 800 number, you are just a phone call away, regardless of where you live.
For reliability and dependability of Tax Net, Inc, the parent company of the “Moms” organization click on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) icon.

To Join CPA Moms

Click for accredited member's reliablility report.

Privacy Policy    About Us    Disclaimer    Copywrited 2005  - 2010 & Developed by  Tax Net Inc

Index of Articles about Ask a Tax Question - Personal Tax Returns

What Other Authors say about Ask a Tax Question - Personal Tax Returns

A Guide To Tax Forms by Carl LaFresnaye

Looking at the Internal Revenue Service's website ( can be a bewildering experience. A vast array of tax forms greets you and figuring out which ones to use can be a chore. This guide is designed...

Finding Out How Much Money Do You Have To Make To File Taxes? by Carl LaFresnaye

There are many people who wonder if they really have to file taxes since they do not make very much money. Since taxes are so dreaded by most people, answering the question of how much money a person...

Deciding when to File a Tax Return? by Keith Hoyng

April 15th - "The Day of Reckoning"! Every year, millions of Americans get ready to pay taxes to Uncle Sam, or get ready to collect a tax refund from Uncle Sam; when did this become the great day that...

Income Tax Help by LeeAnna

There are many websites on the Internet today that gives much needed income tax help for those who have no idea of what's going on during tax time. Income tax is a tax paid on income, unfortunately no...

Investing In China: Expatriate Individual Income Tax by David Carnes

Expatriates on Business Trips to ChinaIf you are sent to China by your company, your salary is paid outside of China, and you spend less than 183 days in China in a calendar year, than you must pay Chinese...

Is The RRSP The Most Effective Plan For Your Retirement? by Yvonne Finn

For many years Canadians have been relying on the income from their RRSP, which was instituted in 1957, to fund their retirement years.Now, however, the small rates of return, taxes and inflation are threatening...

In the articles shown above on this web site you will find information that has been collected from many independent sources. Each article or item may offers a different point of view, but not necessary that of the CPA Mom's. This information is for general information only.