Health Insurance for the Self-Employed


Daniel Lamaute


Having health insurance and being able to afford it is a great concern for many who leave a corporate job to run their own business.

The national crisis in health coverage is hitting the small business owners especially hard. About 24 million small-business employees and their families are uninsured, according to a study by the Kaiser Family Foundation.

After you leave your employer you may elect to continue to receive coverage in the employer's group plan at your expense for up to 18 months. The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) is a federal law that requires employers to allow departing workers to buy health insurance through the employer's group plan.

However, the cost of the monthly premiums for COBRA can come as quite a surprise if you're accustomed to you employer picking up most of your health insurance tab.

Luckily starting in 2003, if you work as a consultant, freelance worker, and other self-employed individual you will be allowed to deduct all of your health insurance premiums. This is an increase form the 70% that was deductible in 2002. You can take the self-employed health insurance deduction even if you do not itemize your tax return.

But, even with health insurance the medical expenses that come out of your pocket can overwhelm you. If you have to dip into your retirement savings for certain medical expenses, the best way to do so is to transfer your IRA or previous 401(k) account to a Self-Employed 401(K) plan that you set up. You can then take a loan from that plan. Loans from a Self-Employed 401(k) plan are tax-free and penalty free as long as they are paid back.


By Daniel Lamaute of www.InvestSafe.com Daniel is a retirement plans specialist and owner of Lamaute Capital, (InvestSafe.com) an investment brokerage firm that works with individuals and small businesses.




Recorvery Rebate Credit
Mileage Deductions
Car Donation Deductions
Bad Debt Right Off
Hybrid Cars Deductions
Tax Cash Today at Western Union
CPA Moms - Services Offered
Tax Preparation
Electronic Filing
Enrolled Agents
Tax Moms
Recovery Rebate Credit
CPA Moms
Representation before IRS
Non Profit Tax Services
CPA Loan Letter
$7500 Downpayment for your Home
Medical Home Pages
Medical News
List of Medical Related Articles
Additional Resources
Want to Join the Moms?
Questions for CPA Moms?

What is a CPA Mom?

CPA Moms is trade name given to Accounting and Tax Professionals who chose to work in an “relaxed” environment. 

Some work from home, other work from personal offices.   Not all are moms, there are some dads.  Each CPA Mom is independent and licensed by their state CPA agency.  


Being in a relaxed environment has many advantages.  Lower overhead, faster response time, more availability etc.
To be a member of CPA Moms, the CPA must ALWAYS be in good standing with their state licensing CPA agency, experienced, and must demonstrate  a high level of ethics, professionalism and proficiency.  

Tax Net Inc, the parent company of the CPA Moms, has developed marketing and on line systems to help qualified CPA’s work from their relaxed environment and offer better service at a lower price to the consumer.  Since the CPA Moms do taxes and accounting of all complexities, there is always a CPA Mom available for every level of work.  

For reliability and dependability of CPA Moms organization click on the Better Business Bureau icon below.











Privacy Policy  .....About Us  ......Disclaimer ..........Copywrited 2005  - 2006 & Sponsored by Tax Net Inc