Tax Free Exchanges (Turn your speaker on and click on any of following questions)

Need Immediate Help - Call 877-800-1040 or email

Tax Deferred Exchange Home Page

1.  Can I exchange for property of less value?

2.  Do I have to exchange for the same type of property?

3.  Does the exchanges have to been done simultaneously?

4.  What is a QI?

5.  Will IRS audit a tax free exchange?

6.  Can I change the name on the title of the new property?

1031 Exchange as a Marketing Tool - For Realtors
Arik Rozen CPA

How Can 1031 Exchange Help You In Generating Business?

The §1031 tax deferred treatment of capital gains is one of the most attractive real estate investor vehicles for preserving and building real estate wealth: This provision of the tax code allows property owners to exchange their property for other like-kind property without recognition of capital gains.

The capital gain and tax liability are both transferred ("deferred") from the "old" property into the "new" one, so there are not tax consequences or liability to the seller at the time of the sale of the "old" property.

The beginning


The concept of exchanging properties to avoid ("defer") tax is not new. 1031 exchange reformed variation of Two and Multi-party exchange.

First; Two-party exchange


Direct exchange (i.e., a swap), or the "your property" for "my property" is called a two-party exchange. Here there are two property owners who each want the other's property. When this rare situation occurs, the parties exchange properties and avoid ("defer") tax liabilities. The main problem here is that rarely there will be two property owners who each want the other's property.

Then; Multi-party exchange


The three-way or multi-party exchange technique was designed to solve the dilemma of a two-way swap. The big problem here is that if one or more of the parties would not cooperate with the exchange, the entire exchange failed like a "Domino Effect".

Now; 1031 Exchange


By permitting you to "sell" your Relinquished ("old") Property now and use the proceeds to buy the Replacement ("new") Property later 1031 exchange eliminate the need of finding another real estate owner who agrees to exchange properties (instead of selling) to avoid tax liability.

Exchange Requirements




There are three conditions that must be met to accomplish non-recognition of gain under §1031:

1. The properties exchanged must qualify, and be of "like-kind".

2. There must be an actual exchange, not a transfer of property for money only.

3. The time requirements must be strictly followed. Qualify, "like-kind"

To qualify as a like-kind exchange, the property must be both (1) qualifying property and (2) like-kind property.

What is a qualify property? For income tax purposes, real estate is divided into four categories made as of the date the transaction:

1. Held for business use (§1231) - property used in normal course of business or rental property; Qualify

2. Held for investment (§1221) - property purchased and sold for generating capital gain; Qualify

3. Held for personal use - vacation home, second home; Does not Qualify

4. Held primarily for sale (dealer property) - resale or inventory; Does not Qualify

The first two classifications "held for business" and "held for investment" qualify for §1031 treatment while the second two "held for personal use" and "dealer property-do not". What if a property falls under two categories?

For example what if a property held for investments partially used for personal use? The sale will be allocated between the two categories based on the portion of each one.

The Exchange Process


The following is a review of the process and timeline:

Sale of Relinquished ("old") Property

To trigger the tax deferred transaction, you must sell your property.

Identification the Replacement ("new") Property

You have 45 days from the day you sell the "old" property to identify the replacement ("new").

Replacement Property is identified only if it is designated as one in a written document signed by you. This document must be hand delivered, mailed, faxed or otherwise sent before the end of the identification period to a person (other than yourself or a related party) involved in the exchange. The document must include unambiguous legal description or street address of the property.

Number of Replacement Properties that can be identified You may identify more than one property as Replacement Property subject to three rules:

3-Property Rule: The maximum number of replacement properties you may identify is three properties regardless of their fair market values.

The 200 Percent Rule: There is no limit on the number of properties you identify as long as their total fair market value does not exceed 200 percent of the total fair market value of all Relinquished Properties.

The 95 Percent Rule: There is no limit on the number of properties you identify as long as during the Exchange Period you actually received identified Replacement Properties having a fair market value equal to or more than 95 percent of the total fair market value of all identified Replacement Properties.

Value of Replacement ("New") Property


The value of the Replacement Property must be equal to, or greater than, the adjusted sales price of the Relinquished Property.

All proceeds from the Relinquished Property sale need to be invested in the Replacement Property.

Sale Proceeds Go To Qualified Intermediary


Section 1031 requires an actual exchange of properties. If you simply sell your property and reinvest the money in another property, you will not qualify for exchange treatment, even though it is a simultaneous close.

A Qualified Intermediary is a person (or company) who, for a fee, acts to facilitate the deferred exchange by entering into an agreement with you for the exchange of properties. The Qualified Intermediary does not provide legal or specific tax advice to the exchanger, but will usually perform the following services:

1. Coordinate with the exchangers and their advisors, to structure a successful exchange.

2. Prepare the documentation for the Relinquished Property and the Replacement Property.

3. Furnish escrow with instructions to effect the exchange.

4. Secure the funds in an insured bank account until the exchange is completed.

5. Provide documents to transfer Replacement Property to the exchanger, and disburse exchange proceeds to escrow. Receipt of Replacement Property

You have 180 days from the day you sell the "old" property to receive the replacement ("new").

Replacement property is treated as received before the end of the exchange period if:

1. You actually acquired the Replacement Property (close the transaction) prior to the end of the exchange period (180 days, or the due date of the taxpayers tax return, whichever is earlier), and

2. The Replacement Property acquired is substantially the same as identified during the 45- day identification period.

Boot and Taxable Gain


Money and unlike property in an exchange is called boot.

If, in addition to the Replacement Property, you receive money or some other kind of boot, you may have taxable gain. The tax is due only on gain that comes from the money and other boot received.

Tax USA Inc.

Tax USA, Inc. is a complete tax, accounting and financial management firm specializes in small businesses, corporations and high income individuals.

Tax USA Inc.'s mission is to exceed clients' expectation by providing superb tax, accounting & financial Management services.

We offer our clients tax, accounting and bookkeeping services, CFO Outsourcing, Budget Review and Business Plans, Cash Flow Management, Payroll Services and Entities' Incorporation.

Our Clients

We focus on small and mid size businesses, non-profit organization and high income individuals. Client list comprised of corporations, non-profit organizations and high-tech employees. Our corporate clients operate in various industries:

- Security
- Information Technology
- Internet
- Retail
- Manufacturing
- Transportation
- Real Estate
- Project Management
- Business Development

Mr. Rozen is a certified Public Accountant; holds a BA in accounting and M.B.A. (majored in Finance). Mr. Rozen has 15 years of experience in tax, public accounting and financial management, serving in a range of executive financial positions and as an independent CPA for various companies and organizations. Mr. Rozen has specialized in accounting and taxation of micro and small businesses.

Latest Tax Free News
Tax Free Articles
Additional Resources
Want to Join the Moms?
Questions for CPA Moms?

Death & Taxes

We have Information to Help You with Either

Got Question for about a Tax Free Exchange?

IRS wants you to retire Financially Free!     We will answer your questions and give you options about how to become Financially Free when you retire

Tax answers/options when you sell your Home.      We will answer your questions about the tax free home sales and give you options on tax free exchanges

So, You got a letter from IRS?  We can help.    Letters from IRS are scary. We will answer your questions at no charge.

S-Corp, LLC, C-Corp, Partnership - Your Choice?    Selecting the correct Business Entity is confusing.  We will give you the tax options of each Business Entity.

How not to pay taxes when you sell income property.    We will explain how to do a tax free exchange & not pay taxes when you sell your income property.

Complete this form for Carl's Tax Tip on "How to get Tax Free Cash out a Tax Free Exchange"

E-mail Address: *
Your First Name *
Your City *
Your State *

* Required

More Information Less Taxes

Need Cash Quick?
   Same Day
   Next Day - 37,127 Locations
   Refund Anticipation Loan
   Earned Income Credit

Tax Deductions
     Day Care
     Medical & Dental
     Educator Expense
     Divorce & Alimony
     Donating Car to Charity

Personal Finance
   Retire Buying Tax Liens
   Borrowing from your 401k
   Your Credit Report
   Credit Repair
   Your Social Security
   Social Secuity Disability
   Indentity Thief
   Reverse Mortgages

Tax Preparation Specilities
 Truckers - Long Haul/Local

Where is my Refund?
   Electronic Filing

IRS want to give you:
    Earned Income Credit
    Adoption Credit

Business Expenses
    Office in Home
    Business Deductions

Latest News









Privacy Policy ......... About Us  ......  Disclaimer ..... Copywrited 2005 - 2006 & Developed by  Tax Moms