Tax Free Exchanges (Turn your speaker on and click on any of following questions)

Need Immediate Help - Call 877-800-1040 or email

Tax Deferred Exchange Home Page

1.  Can I exchange for property of less value?

2.  Do I have to exchange for the same type of property?

3.  Does the exchanges have to been done simultaneously?

4.  What is a QI?

5.  Will IRS audit a tax free exchange?

6.  Can I change the name on the title of the new property?

How a 1031 Exchange Works
Michael Southard

A section 1031 tax deferral allows an investor to sell a property, then reinvest the proceeds in a new property and defer all capital gain taxes. Specific conditions for the exchange state that it must be of "like-kind" and must take place within 45 days of the close of the sale. To understand more about how this exchange works, consider the following example:

*If an investor has a $200,000 capital gain and incurs a tax liability of $70,000 in combined taxes when the property is sold, only $130,000 remains to reinvest in another property.

*If the investor had, for example, a down payment of 25% and a loan-to-value ratio of 75%, the seller would only be able to purchase a $520,000 property.

*If the same investor chose a 1031 exchange, however, and had the same down payment and loan-to-value ratio as above, the entire $200,000 of equity could be reinvested in an $800,000 purchase of real estate.

The exchange offers a powerful protection for investors from capital gain taxes. However, knowledge of what qualifies for a 1031 exchange, and how it works is crucial to receive the full benefits that it can offer. For example, not all real estate qualifies for the exchange. Business property and investment property are the only types that will qualify for the tax deferral.

Both the property sold and received must be of "like-kind", which is often mistaken to mean the exact types of properties. The like kind provision for real property is quite broad, and includes land, rental, and business property. A 1031 exchange may actually be mixed as to type and still be like-kind. For example, you may exchange land for a duplex, or a commercial building for a retail store. The like-kind provision for personal property is more restrictive.

One difficult aspect of making a 1031 exchange is finding a new investment property within the 45 day limit. The IRS is very strict about complying with the restriction and rarely allows extensions. Once a replacement property has been found, the next challenge comes in obtaining the extra capital needed to complete the exchange.
Fortunately, there is an easy way to overcome that challenge.

Obtaining a bridge loan is an easy and effective way for a commercial borrower to finance a property for a short period of time. Bridge loans are usually offered for terms of 12-36 months, just the amount of time that a property owner would need for a 1031 exchange.

Visit Security National Capital today to learn more about a 1031 exchange.

Michael Southard is the Vice President of Security National Capital.

Latest Tax Free News
Tax Free Articles
Additional Resources
Want to Join the Moms?
Questions for CPA Moms?

Death & Taxes

We have Information to Help You with Either

Got Question for about a Tax Free Exchange?

IRS wants you to retire Financially Free!     We will answer your questions and give you options about how to become Financially Free when you retire

Tax answers/options when you sell your Home.      We will answer your questions about the tax free home sales and give you options on tax free exchanges

So, You got a letter from IRS?  We can help.    Letters from IRS are scary. We will answer your questions at no charge.

S-Corp, LLC, C-Corp, Partnership - Your Choice?    Selecting the correct Business Entity is confusing.  We will give you the tax options of each Business Entity.

How not to pay taxes when you sell income property.    We will explain how to do a tax free exchange & not pay taxes when you sell your income property.

Complete this form for Carl's Tax Tip on "How to get Tax Free Cash out a Tax Free Exchange"

E-mail Address: *
Your First Name *
Your City *
Your State *

* Required

More Information Less Taxes

Need Cash Quick?
   Same Day
   Next Day - 37,127 Locations
   Refund Anticipation Loan
   Earned Income Credit

Tax Deductions
     Day Care
     Medical & Dental
     Educator Expense
     Divorce & Alimony
     Donating Car to Charity

Personal Finance
   Retire Buying Tax Liens
   Borrowing from your 401k
   Your Credit Report
   Credit Repair
   Your Social Security
   Social Secuity Disability
   Indentity Thief
   Reverse Mortgages

Tax Preparation Specilities
 Truckers - Long Haul/Local

Where is my Refund?
   Electronic Filing

IRS want to give you:
    Earned Income Credit
    Adoption Credit

Business Expenses
    Office in Home
    Business Deductions

Latest News









Privacy Policy ......... About Us  ......  Disclaimer ..... Copywrited 2005 - 2006 & Developed by  Tax Moms